It’s cold outside and who wouldn’t love warm cherry pie straight from the oven to warm up with on the couch? Crave Pie Studio, Gwinnett’s sweet mecca for all things pie related, has shared their special recipe for Cherry Pie! And let me tell you somethin’ …they don’t call this place “crave” for nothin’! Crave makes fresh pies daily, they serve coffee and special orders are welcome! Check out the menu they offer the following pies: Butterscotch Cream, Nutella Cream, Ode to Boston Cream, Bourbon Chocolate Pecan, Tequila Key Lime and Salted Pretzel Crust, Salted Lavender Honey and more! They also offer old favorites like: Banana Cream, Key Lime, Maple Pecan, Coconut Creme, Apple, Peach and more. Don’t forget the savory pies, too (Chicken Pot Pie, Beef Pot Pie).
The only thing that we ask is that you share with us! Enjoy!
Crave Pie Cherry Pie Recipe
One prepared double pie crust
5 to 6 cups sour cherries
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca or 1/4 cup corn starch
1 teaspoon pure almond extract or pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Note: Sour cherries are sold packed in water or individually quick frozen. Varieties include Montmorency and Moreno. Do not mistake “cherry pie filling” for sour cherries. This bright red lab created goop bears no resemblance to a real cherry pie.)
1) Divide the dough in half, and roll one half into a 13″ circle. Transfer the circle to a 9″ pie pan.
2) Drain the cherries, reserving 2/3 cup of liquid. Place the cherries and reserved liquid in a large mixing bowl.
3) Combine the sugar, and tapioca or corn starch. Stir this into the cherries until everything is evenly combined.
4) Stir in the almond extract or vanilla extract. If you’re using tapioca, let the filling sit for 20 minutes before using it to fill the pie shell.
5) Spoon the filling into the pastry-lined pan, and dot with butter
6) Roll out the second crust and place it on top of the filling. Cut slits into the top to vent steam, and squeeze/seal the top and bottom crusts together, fluting with your fingers or a fork. You may also choose to make a woven lattice crust.
7) Place the pie on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and bake in a preheated 425°F oven for 20 minutes, then reduce to 375°F for an additional 30 -40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling.
8) Remove the pie from the oven, and cool it on a rack 2-3 hours before slicing, so the filling can set.
Warning: This cherry pie may cause a slight addiction to pie and should be served with caution…lol